Developing a normal grooming routine with your cat will help her remain clean and healthy. Creating routines in a way that make the process pleasurable for both you and your cat is incredibly important. Elmhurst Animal Care Center, a Certified Cat Friendly Practice, knows that grooming practices can even help you deepen your relationship with your pet. Their veterinarians recommend implementing the following techniques for successful grooming sessions.
- Try to implement grooming practices when both you and your cat are relaxed and calm. If either of you are anxious or stressed, the session has the potential to end badly due to frustration.
- When you are brushing or bathing your cat, work very slowly and gently.
- While you are brushing your cat, untangle any knots you find, and be extra gently in sensitive parts of the body. Long-haired cats ought to be brushed every day.
- Before bathing, fill your tub a few inches with lukewarm water and use a spray hose to wet your cat. Use a gentle shampoo that is animal-approved.
- Press gently on your pet’s pads so that she extends her claws. During a nail-clipping session, only clip to the point where the nail begins to curl, avoiding the pink vein.
Elmhurst Animal Care Center is pleased to offer grooming and boarding discounts to new patients. They provide full animal hospital services, including after-hours emergency care at an affordable price. Their friendly veterinarians are excited to begin working with new clients to develop excellent care plans.